For some unknown reason there are never more Terry’s chocolate oranges consumed than at this festive time of year, so when my uni house suddenly craved brownies I thought why not take it one step further and knock up a batch of these! A simple brownie recipe topped off with sweet and citrusy orange buttercream, finished off with rows of the masterpiece itself: a segmented Terry’s chocolate orange. They’re incredibly easy to make, but they put a seasonal twist on a classic dessert (or afternoon snack, or elevenses, or breakfast in some cases…). Ingredients
For the brownie:
- 200g dark chocolate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the topping:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- 1-3 tbsp milk (as needed)
- 1 Terry’s chocolate orange, segmented
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Line an 8 inch baking tin with baking parchment (use butter to help it stick if needed).
- Melt the butter (125g) and chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water and stir frequently. When melted, set aside.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, orange extract and vanilla extract in a medium-large mixing bowl until combined and frothy.
- Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold together until thick and glossy.
- Sift the flour and salt into the bowl and stir gently just until combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Pour into the brownie mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes (when inserting a toothpick or sharp knife there should be a few crumbs when removed). Cool completely on a wire rack whilst making the orange buttercream!
- Cream together the butter (75g) and orange extract in a bowl. Sift in the icing sugar a bit at a time and mix with a hand held electric mixer, adding milk as and when the mixture needs loosening up.
- When all of the sugar has been added, beat until light and fluffy – it shouldn’t be too runny!
- Spread the icing over the cooled brownies.
- Place the chocolate orange segments on the icing as you like. I chose a simple line of overlapping segments because I wanted to fit as many on as possible! Once added, chill in the fridge for the icing to set – or if you can’t wait that long serve whilst still warm and enjoy!